I didn't have much to say publicly... until now. I want the world know about what we're up to and the disease we're fighting against.
I'm not blogging for the sake of blogging. I have Purpose. Not only do I want to bring much-needed awareness to the need for increased cystic fibrosis research, I want to tell a story of a middle-aged, (slightly) out-of-shape couple with 2 young children who went all-in on a new hobby and hiked 31 miles in one day. It's a story of a couple that wanted to do something that mattered.
We haven't been hiking in almost a decade, unless pushing a stroller around Busch Gardens counts. When you think 'Xtreme Hiking,' we don't come to mind—in fact, when I've told people about the hike, they've looked me from head-to-toe and said, "Really? You?!," "You're going to train, right?", and (my favorite from the sarcastic shoe guy at REI) "Wow, good luck with that." People don't think I can do this... more people have told me I'm crazy than "You can do it." Their doubts aren't going to stop me though...they've motivated me to prove them wrong. But... having a chip on my shoulder isn't the type of motivation I need.
Everyone needs positive reinforcement. And maybe a Facebook 'like' or a Twitter re-tweet aren't strong shows of support, but every little bit helps.
We have a long journey in front us-- and we need all the support we can get!
- We have 18 weeks to train our bodies for the rigors of 31 miles of mountain terrain—and to find a way to do this without abandoning our children.
- We have 18 weeks to prepare ourselves psychologically for the mental obstacles we'll be encountering along the trail.
- We have 18 weeks to learn how to hike— to learn what our bodies can/can't do, to prepare for what nature has in store for us (weather, snakes, insects), and to know what gear to rely on.
- We have 18 weeks to collect $5,000 in donations to the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation.
I'll be using this blog and other social media to document our progress and to ask for your help along the way. I want to hear from you.
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/Sseabornluck
- Instagram: http://instagram.com/jsseaborn
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/sseaborn