Saturday, August 17, 2013

Perspective



Here’s my day in a nutshell...

  • Woke up at 4am.
  • Got super-duper lost on the Blue Ridge Parkway.
  • Almost got divorced before sunrise.
  • Ate a disgusting Clif Bar (aren’t they all disgusting?), ran out water, and did a shot of Jack.
  • Hiked 16 miles in 8 hours.  (that blog post will be coming soon)
  • Drove back to Richmond and spent the next hour complaining about my feet and the hill that nearly broke me.
Di smoking me on the Hill of Doom

  • Got home and popped four blisters… and then popped another three on Di’s feet.
  • Crawled upstairs… and then crawled downstairs…repeatedly.
Finally crashed in bed with my laptop and noticed a new donation to our hike—from a total stranger.  Along with the donation, she wrote the following:

“My son has cf and I have been following your wonderful blog. Thanks for your fundraising efforts and good luck on the hike.”

Wow.

This message really put my day and this hike into perspective. 

I have no idea what this mother and son must be going through every day, but my blisters pale in comparison.  My wrecked legs are a badge of honor.  If our hiking raises money that will give CF patients HOPE then it’s all been worth it.

Debra, thank you so much for your support – it means so much to Di and I.  And glad you're enjoying the blog!  I need to find more time to write!


If you'd like to support our hike with a donation to the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation, please click below!

donate to my cause


 

No comments:

Post a Comment